Responsible pet ownership requires a lot of dependability, knowledge, and consideration; unfortunately, some new pet owners take this responsibility very lightly.
So, before you take home your new dog or cat, consider the following pet care tips to ensure that you are providing your new friend with the right amount of care and just the right amount of love! Your new companion is relying on you to provide it.
Whether your new pet is just a puppy or an adult dog, you have a challenge ahead of you to practice responsible pet ownership and awareness. Your home is new territory, and you are now your pet's primary caregiver. Both kindness and a firm yet reassuring approach to your new dog will go a long way. Ensure that he knows you're ready to give him the love he deserves by creating a canine-friendly atmosphere and integrating these pet care tips into his routine.
- Crate training and housebreaking: Two very important stages in your dog's life. Crate training, should you choose this method, gives your pet a quiet, safe place to retreat to at bedtime or whenever you leave the house. If you want to prevent chewing or scratching, crate training might be necessary in the beginning. Housebreaking is just a matter of routine - think of a word you want your dog to associate with going to the bathroom outside and use it repeatedly. Take your dog outside multiple times, normally after meals or water breaks, and he'll soon make the connection.
- Flea and tick prevention: Without preventative measures and an ounce of responsible pet ownership, your home could become infested or your dog could become extremely ill. Most vets can provide you with products that eliminate fleas and ticks on your dog. Available orally or in a liquid form placed on the back just once a month, your dog will be able to repel fleas, ticks, and parasites regularly.
- Shots and preventative vaccines: Dogs suffer from many terrible diseases that are often fatal if not treated or prevented at the outset. Vaccination is one of the most important pet care tips that can be provided - and one that should be heeded. Rabies, distemper, heartworms, and parvovirus are some of the worst viruses that can afflict your dog - your vet will discuss which shots your pet receives at each yearly check-up to prevent these agonizing diseases.
- Spaying or neutering: Similar to yearly vaccinations, highlighting the need for spaying or neutering play into vital pet care tips. Gone unmonitored, two dogs can produce over 4,000 offspring in seven years. Sadly, a large number of these dogs will be euthanized or left to fend for themselves on the street. Spaying or neutering, a major part of responsible pet ownership, ensures your pet will be healthier in the long run, and you will have prevented the birth of more unwanted puppies.
- Obedience training: Your dog desires structure. Teaching him the basic commands yourself or enrolling him in an obedience or training course gives him a level of organization in his life. Furthermore, teaching him certain commands also ensures that he will be a well-behaved, functioning member of your family within your home. Purchase a book offering pet behavior and pet care tips, such as My Smart Puppy by Brian Kil commons and Sarah Wilson or Dog Talk by John Ross. These two books will give you a better idea of responsible pet ownership and how to approach certain situations with your new dog.
Unlike dogs, cats are much more independent, needing perhaps less of your attention. Cats, however, rely on you for the same necessities that a dog expects. If problematic behaviors pop up, contact your local animal shelter or animal welfare organization for more pet care tips. Most likely, literature on both dog and cat care will be provided upon request.
In any case, to help your cat be a happier, better-behaved feline, consider the following more important pet care tips:
- A clean litter box: If your cat lives inside, you will need to clean and/or empty his litter box at least twice a day. Every week or so, you'll also need to dump the litter out entirely and wash his box with hot, soapy water to reduce the spread of bacterial growth. This task can be easy to forget, but cats are clean animals. For a cat, this is one of the more important pet care tips - ensuring his area is always clean. The location of his box is important - keep it out of high-traffic areas and away from his food. To help him learn to use his litter box, show him where it is four to five times a day and encourage him to use it, praising him when he uses it or even just digs.
- Flea and tick prevention: Fleas and ticks can make your new pet very sick and can introduce parasites into the bloodstream. Practice responsible pet ownership! Prevent this from occurring by purchasing flea and tick preventative products from your vet. Flea powder and a quick sweep of the vacuum through your house is also an excellent guard against fleas or ticks. However, if you do opt to buy products online or at the store, be cautious and practice responsible pet ownership by checking the labels and warnings if any - some preventative measures are harmful to cats.
- Spaying or neutering: As important for cats as it is for dogs! Responsible pet ownership dictates that you have your cat spayed or neutered when s/he is between six and eight weeks old if possible. Not only will you help prevent pet "overpopulation," but you will reduce the potential for other cancers and diseases that may occur if your cat is not surgically altered.
- Shots and preventative vaccines: Cats are susceptible to a variety of fatal and painful diseases. Without vaccinations and a nod to responsible pet ownership, they will likely die or have medical issues throughout their lives. Much like the recommendation for dogs, vaccination for cats is one of the most important pet care tips. Rabies, FeLV (Feline Leukemia), FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus), and distemper are some of the worst - however, with a regular check-up and shots from your vet and just a bit of responsible pet ownership, you have nothing to worry about!
Be a Knowledgeable Pet Owner
You now have a big responsibility on your hands. Your new cat or dog ultimately relies on you to provide him with the necessities of life, and it is your job as a responsible, knowledgeable pet owner to ensure that he has a happy, healthy life by incorporating a routine into his life and following the pet care tips that have been outlined above.
Do your research and talk to other pet owners to get other helpful pet care tips! Your pet has basic needs that must be fulfilled by you. Of course, he needs a ready supply of cool drinking water, healthy dog or cat food, shade or shelter, and grooming on a regular basis, but he also expects you to create a loving home and warm environment and to keep him healthy and happy.
With just a little awareness of what to expect coupled with responsible pet ownership, you'll be ready to give your new companion lots of love and a happy home!
Your pet deserves the Organic lifestyle too! Animal Lovers your hands will enjoy the smooth lather, clean, and softening aspect while using also. Made in America and manufactured in USA with organic ingredients, Castile concentrate. Your pet's skin is a protective barrier against the environment and we are here to help you protect their skin with our Organic Pet Shampoo.
Bundle and Save when you purchase Cruisin Organics Pet Shampoo 16 oz and USDA Certified Organic Pet T Paw Balm. This is a Close-out sale due to the necessity to re-brand. Pamper your pets with our luxurious pet-essentials. This seasonal collection is designed to help restore your pets skin, while moisturizing and softening the skin. The nourishing organic ingredients invigorate your senses and your pet's.
Do you want to relieve your pet of harmful chemical shampoos and pet balm products? Fall into savings, valuable hydration support along with these nontoxic alternatives. Safe alternative without the large numbers of potential skin irritants that are almost always found in chemical detergent pet shampoos. Family members, Animal lovers, and groomers across the country will enjoy the simplicity of keeping their pets smelling fresh yet free of petrochemicals, sulfates, petroleum, and GMOs.
Your pet deserves the Organic lifestyle too! Animal Lovers ... your hands will enjoy the smooth lather, clean, and softening aspect while bathing your pet. Made in the USA with organic ingredients. Your pet's skin is a protective barrier against the environment. We are here to help you protect their skin with our Organic Pet Shampoo. Purrfect furs for your pet's fluffy soft coat. Also great shampoo for horses too.